Let Them Sing and Dance...

I was out for my morning run today, and as I came around a bend in the road could see two little girls waiting for their bus off in the distance. Oblivious to their surroundings, they were left to their own devices. They could do whatever they wanted to do, with no adults to interfere or give direction.

So what did they do?

They held hands and danced.

They chanted a rhyme.

They sang a song.

And they laughed.

They did these things not because they were bored, or because they didn't know what else to do. They danced and sang because this is how children make sense of their world, and their relationships.

When school boards and administrators take art, music, library, physical education and recess out of the school day, they leave behind an impoverished education for the children for whom they are responsible.

Every child deserves to be taught these disciplines by a certified, qualified teacher, with adequate supplies, materials and facilities.

The arts are not a frill, a "special", or a "break" for classroom teachers' planning time. They are a critical, integral component of a full and rich educational experience for every child, and a necessary part of the curriculum.

Just ask those two little girls.

Write a comment

Comments: 6
  • #1

david zaiss (Tuesday, 29 September 2015 19:37)

Poetry, Mitchell. Had to share, but because even an almost perfect poem can be improved I gave it a shot... revised a comma splice, punctuated a run-on, and took another liberty or two. One too many creative writing seminars showing.

• #2

Odelia Wygant (Wednesday, 01 February 2017 00:28)

This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger. I've joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your wonderful post. Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks!

• #3

Palmer Piggott (Saturday, 04 February 2017 03:10)

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be really something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I'm looking forward for your next post, I'll try to get the hang of it!

• #4

resume examples (Saturday, 15 April 2017 15:01)

Great! It sounds good. Thanks for sharing..

• #5

yoga (Saturday, 29 April 2017 02:35)

• #6

muneebkhatri (Saturday, 06 May 2017 06:07)

Thanks for a wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant .i love it reading. <a href="http://fontfacegen.com/">webfont generator</a>